Once you have joined the PMI, you can download the latest version of the PMBOK Guide from the PMI’s website for free.
Please note that opening an account at PMI.org and getting a PMI membership are different things.
Anybody can go to the PMI website and open an account but to join the PMI you will have to pay a 139 USD fee to the PMI.
I am updating this blog post with this information because many of visitors thought that after opening an account with the site they will be able to download the PMBOK Guide for free.
So they opened the account, tried to download the PMBOK Guide, and when they failed they contacted me about the issue. They were thinking that signing up for the site is the same as signing up for the PMI membership.
Anyway, once you get the paid PMI membership you can download the PMBOK Guide as many times as you want and for as long as you maintain your membership with the PMI.
In addition to the PMBOK Guide, there are many other foundational standards, practice standards and frameworks available for you to download free of charge.
These standards and frameworks are as follows:
- Organizational Project Management Maturity Model (OPM3®)
- The Standard for Program Management
- The Standard for Portfolio Management
Practice Standards and Frameworks
- Practice Standard for Project Risk Management
- Practice Standard for Earned Value Management
- Practice Standard for Project Configuration Management
- Practice Standard for Work Breakdown Structures
- Practice Standard for Scheduling
- Practice Standard for Project Estimating
- Project Manager Competency Development Framework
After joining the PMI you will be able to download the latest version of the PMBOK Guide for free. Not only can you access the PMBOK Guide; in fact you will be able to download all foundation standards, practice standards and framework, which may save hundreds of dollars. Therefore, I suggest you get a PMI membership as soon as possible.
Visit the benefits of PMI membership to read more about these benefits.