If you are wondering if you can download the PMBOK Guide for free from the PMI website after joining the PMI, the answer is yes.
In fact, this is the prime benefit of joining the PMI.
Please note that opening an account at PMI.org and getting a PMI membership are two different things. Anybody can go to the PMI website and open an account, but you will have to pay 139 USD to join the PMI.
I am writing this blog post because many aspirants have thought that after opening an account with the site they could download the PMBOK Guide for free.
So, they opened an account, tried to download the PMBOK Guide, and when they failed, they contacted me about the issue. They were thinking that signing up for the site is the same as signing up for the PMI membership.
Download the PMBOK Guide
Downloading the PMBOK Guide requires a paid membership. You can download the PMBOK Guide as many times as you want once you have subscribed to the paid PMI membership and for as long as you maintain your membership with the PMI.
In addition to the PMBOK Guide, there are many other foundational standards, practice standards, and frameworks available for you to download for free.
These standards and frameworks are as follows:
- Organizational Project Management Maturity Model (OPM3®)
- The Standard for Program Management
- The Standard for Portfolio Management
Practice Standards and Frameworks
- Practice Standard for Project Risk Management
- Practice Standard for Earned Value Management
- Practice Standard for Project Configuration Management
- Practice Standard for Work Breakdown Structures
- Practice Standard for Scheduling
- Practice Standard for Project Estimating
- Project Manager Competency Development Framework
You will be able to download the latest version of the PMBOK Guide for free after joining the PMI. Not only can you access the Guide, you will be able to download all foundation standards, practice standards, and frameworks, which may save you hundreds of dollars. Therefore, I suggest you get a PMI membership as soon as possible and start reading these guides and frameworks.
Have you gotten a PMI membership and downloaded the PMBOK Guide? If you are facing any issues with downloading it, please let me know in the comments section so I can help you out.